Notifications
Clear all

Module 1 - Discussion  

RSS
Liz Redfern

Hi there, I wondered if people would be interested in sharing their thoughts and reflections on each module, so starting a topic for module 1 on what is positive psychology, in the hope you’ll join me! 🙂 

Thinking about where I heard about PP and what attracts me ... a couple of years back I attended a course at work about how to be your best self. The course leaders and material was inspiring and led me to explore the topics in my own time through reading and listening to podcasts. I’m excited to explore the subject now with both an academic grounding along with practical application. I like the idea of being able to improve my experience and help others to do likewise. 

How have you come to be on the course and what interests you most about it? 

Posted : 19/06/2020 3:48 pm
Julia Cider

Hi Liz.  Thanks for starting the discussion.  I'm a primary school teacher, and hope to apply positive psychology in an educational context.  I'm planning to start the MAPP in September. 😊 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2020 6:18 pm
Abby Gray
Eminent Member

Hi Liz,

I'm a final year psychology student (just finished basically) and took the PP module in Semester 2, and really enjoyed it and want to do MSc in Positive Psychology because my gut feeling was positive that it would be a good idea. It was a spontaneous decision and I have strong feelings that it will help me in whatever job I find - even if I choose a creative career path over an academic one. 

For this short course, I was craving having more profoundness and novelty and meaning and felt this would offer those (it was very stressful with my dissertation and the more straight psychology topics in its absence). 

Very excited to be doing this course and looking forward to joining everyone else on this journey!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2020 8:43 am
Liz Redfern

@juliaciderhotmail-com Hi Julia, I bet this will be really useful for both your pupils and the teachers! I work for a Market Research agency and not sure yet if this will lead to application in current work situation or maybe even a change of career. I’m also considering the MAPP. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2020 10:23 am
Liz Redfern

@silverbirch Hi Abby, Congrats on making it through your course! I bet it was even more stressful with the current lockdown situation. My uni studies were over 20 years ago!! So I’m hoping I still remember how to study. 😂 Considering the MAPP too. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2020 10:28 am
Lesley liked
Abby Gray
Eminent Member

@liz_redfern Hey Liz, Thanks very much - the C Situation was the least of my problems, with the exception of only being allowed out once a day; given I was away from home I didn't have my beloved hens to go down and see in the garden or the fish in the pond for that matter! At least I had a boyfriend though, so it wasn't all bad. I'm sure you will remember well enough how to study - some things never fade memory, and you'll probably find some way to study that best suits your circumstances. When I was doing my A Levels, I watched full seasons of Supernatural instead of overdoing revision, but I wasn't the person who was so stressed that their eyesight was deteriorating before their eyes! Just look after yourself and do things you enjoy as well - everything is in proportion!:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2020 7:30 pm
Abby Gray
Eminent Member

@juliaciderhotmail-com Hi Julia, Nice to meet you - that sounds like a great area to apply PP! What particular areas do you think it would be most applicable to?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2020 7:38 pm
Julia Cider

@silverbirch Hi Abby. 

Lovely to meet you too.  Apologies for the late reply, I've only just checked my messages on here. 

I think that PP will help children, parents and other teachers to become more resilient, handle emotions better, improve relationships and develop growth mindsets.  I'm hoping to learn more about how I can implement PP strategies at school.  I'm thinking entwined into everyday teaching, professional development for teachers and workshops for parents.  There's far too much depression and anxiety in today's busy world.  If children can learn PP strategies and skills, then hopefully it will set them up well for dealing with life's challenges.  My goal is to have a whole school approach, with parents involved too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/07/2020 9:40 am
Lesley liked
Farhad Farid Hosseini

Hello everyone. It is great to be in this interesting online course.
The reason that I became interested in PP is that as a psychiatrist I deal with negative emotions and character weaknesses. This might lead to a kind of a pessimistic view to the world and oneself as a human being and also make me, as a clinician, ignore strengths and assets of my patients. By knowing more about PP, I hope to enhance my attention to human’s flourishing potential and apply it in my daily clinical work.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2020 4:14 pm
Abby Gray
Eminent Member

@juliaciderhotmail-com Interesting! Absolutely, the whole school system needs to be reformed - it is still in the form of how the Victorian factory owners made it and it needs to change!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/07/2020 2:03 pm
Anna Le Grange

Hi everyone. I just started the course this week and hope to fo the MAPP either this year or next. 

I use PP in my breastfeeding support practice as a lactation consultant and children's nurse. The results have been incredible, so I started sharing with others through teaching courses for professionals. I now want to learn all I can so that I can start my own research into PP for early parenthood. 

I also use PP techniques myself and with my own children, 2 of whom are autistic. Great to meet you all. 

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Anna Le Grange
ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2020 9:53 pm
Lesley liked
Share:

Online Members

No online members at the moment

Recent Posts