Notifications
Clear all

Module 2 - Discussion  

RSS
Liz Redfern

Reflections on module 2 on Happiness. 

I thought the interpretation of 2 types of happiness that Lesley gave was interesting. In past I’ve considered hedonic to be the lesser, less worthy, of the 2, as it’s often portrayed negatively. I like the idea of needing balance and that the hedonic can be used to add more fun to your life if that is lacking. Also like the idea that hedonic experience may become or lead to a eudaimonic experience and can see that in items on my list of what makes me happy. I discovered I knew of a lot of eudaimonic items but don’t think I intentionally include them in my life often enough. 

What did you find with your list of happiness items?

Posted : 19/06/2020 4:03 pm
Julia Cider

I'm currently reading The How of Happiness, by Sonya Lyubomirsky, so this module was very relevant.  I really enjoyed learning more about the two types of happiness from the extra reading.  A balance of both sounds perfect to me! 

Most of the things that were on my list are in the eudaimonic category, so I probably need a few more spontaneous hedonic happy hits to make life more fun.

It's interesting to know that we can influence 40% of our happiness by intentional activities. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2020 6:42 pm
Liz Redfern

@juliaciderhotmail-com I ordered the How too, going to read this week. I was surprised by the 40% too - shows we can have a big impact. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2020 10:32 am
Farhad Farid Hosseini

Hello everyone

I heard about happiness formula (well defined by Lyubomirsky). It was not surprise to me. However, I think many people overestimate the role of situation in their happiness level and persuade them to take responsibility and be active in boosting their happiness might be difficult. 
I also wonder we can generalize this formula to all countries and cultures or in underdeveloped countries, role of situations in happiness would be notable.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2020 4:40 pm
David Jonnes

Yes, perhaps in some cultures it is more acceptable to try to improve happiness, and others think that it is not a worthy goal, too egotistical/selfish?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2020 8:06 am
Abby Gray
Eminent Member

My understanding and definition of happiness is similar to Lyumbirsky's - for me, it feels like all is good in the world and myself, that everything is as it should be. I try to experience happiness as much as I can, and when I experience it for long periods of time, my cheek bones really ache because I automatically smile as a result from all the happiness.

A lot of things make me happy, but not always the same things at different times; this reminds me of how subjective the emotion is, and how it is so brittle and reliant on many other factors being in place. For example, I love looking round charity shops and finding novel, interesting, aesthetic or useful things in them and this makes me feel happy, because of what I've found and how I am supporting good worthwhile causes whilst also reducing waste in the form of unwanted objects and plastic packaging. However, I would not feel the same way if it was compulsory to wear a mask (hand santisation is fine though) during my browsing of the charity shop, because of the personal discomfort and the calustrophbia that it would cause. This was the case with when I went back home, since my village is very friendly, but with the whole situation going on it did not feel good being back because of everyone being so fearful of everyone else. Similarly, if I found a nice object from a charity shop I would feel happy, but perhaps not if afterwards I learned that a loved one had just died in a car crash. So it is very much subject to change, at a moment's notice, in my view.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/07/2020 10:07 am
Share:

Online Members

No online members at the moment

Recent Posts